March came in like a Lion with a heavy, wet snow storm. It looks like March will go out like a Lamb with beautiful, warm and sunny weather. That means it is time for Spring cleaning and yard work. Here are some helpful tips to a safe and injury free Spring!
- Stay hydrated. Drinking half your body weight in ounces of water helps every process in your body work better, including your muscles and joints.
- Bend with your knees. When lifting bags of soil or other heavy objects keeping your back straight and bending with your knees will reduce the chances of injury to your low back. Keep this in mind even when lifting light objects!
- Avoid repetition. I bet you rake leaves with the same motion every time. Try mixing it up. Over use repetitive actions can lead to injury. Picture a wire coat hanger. If you bend it enough times it will break!
- Take a break. Many people will not stop until every last flower bed is clean. Relax and have a glass of water. Stop to admire the work you have done along the way. Those leaves and pine needles will still be there when you are done drinking your water.
- Warm up. Getting your blood flowing will prepare your muscles and joints for activity. Try some jumping jacks or burpees!
- Visit Kambeitz Chiropractic Health and Wellness Center. Making sure your spine and muscles are healthy enough to work outside is the first step. If there is undetected restriction in your spine, unresolved muscle tension and tightness and if you are deconditioned, your chances of injury are much greater.