Eric from the Kambeitz Chiropractic massage therapy team took a break to discuss the importance of hydration, and tips to stay hydrated.
If you have been a patient in the clinic you have probably heard us mention that it’s important to stay hydrated, either during a massage, adjustment or workout.
Your body weight is comprised of 60% water. Your brain alone is somewhere between 80-85% water. You blood and muscles need water to properly function. Water helps you regulate body temperature. It also helps with joint lubrication.
If you don’t drink enough, there can be consequences for your health. You may not realize immediately that you are dehydrated, it can still affect you in multiple ways. Even a two percent decrease in body water can lead to dehydration and decrease performance with physical activities.
Dehydration can lead to:
- Sleepiness and fatigue
- Poor mood
- Dizziness, Lightheadedness
Benefits of staying hydrated:
- Improved brain function
- Prevents kidney stones, UTIs, and constipation
- Improves cardiovascular health allowing blood to travel easier through arteries and veins; and decreases excess cholesterol production
- Improved cartilage health
- Weight Loss
Tips to stay hydrated:
- Keep a water bottle with you
- Drink water before, during, and after workouts
- Drink on a schedule, either hourly or with each meal/snack
- Enhance the flavor with fruit like oranges or lemon
- Get additional water from cucumbers, watermelon, or leafy greens
Have any questions? Please ask them at your next visit to our clinic